This panel seeks to analyze the development of urban cultures in France, especially urban literature and music (especially hip-hop) while taking into account the impact of postcolonial studies in France since 2005, the year of the "urban riots". The panel also aims to analyze the importance of the political aspect of urban culture as well as the influence of American (especially African-American) culture on French production.
DEADLINE: 30 September 2018.
Possible themes include:
· Urban literature
· The literary aspect of French rap
· Urban culture and postcolonial studies
· French Caribbean rap
· Urban culture and social activism
· Global "Francophone" hip-hop
· Urban culture outside of Paris (Lyon, Marseille, etc)
· Urban culture and the French Republic
· French trap music