Greeley, CO, USA
The Society for the Academic Study of Social Imagery (SASSI) invites paper and panel proposals for their March 8-9, 2019 conference in Greeley, Colorado. The theme is "THE IMAGE OF ADVENTURE in Literature, Media, and Society."
Hosted by the University of Northern Colorado School of Communication, and held at the Double Tree by Hilton Greeley at Lincoln Park, Greeley, CO, the SASSI conference each year addresses the influence of images in literature, media, and society with a new and different thematic focus (e.g. The Image of Rebirth, The Image of Redemption). The theme for 2019 – in honor of the 300th anniversary of Daniel Defoe’s The Life and Strange Adventures of Robinson Crusoe - explores the image of ADVENTURE - in culture, literature, philosophy, history, politics, economics, film, television, art, music, social theory, and business. All interpretations of adventure are welcome – exploits, escapades, heroic deeds, peril, etc. All eras and cultures are appropriate. All aspects of adventure and all contrasts with adventure (abstention, avoidance, etc.) are relevant. All methodologies welcome.
Possible topics include:
* Adventure in literature, art: short stories, novels, statues, paintings, exhibits
* Adventure in popular culture: movies, television, songs, comics/graphic novels
* Adventure as impacted by issues of class, culture, ethnicity, economic status
* Myths and legends of adventure: folklore, fairy tales, oral traditions
* Adventure as found in social movements, political life, everyday life
* Marketing adventure: tourism/travel, social media, YouTube videos
* Other imaginative variations - eclectic and innovative approaches are encouraged
* And, of course, papers that actually address Robinson Crusoe are more than welcome!
Conference Proceedings will be published. Attendees receive a hard copy, and a digital copy (ISSN 2572-4320) will be hosted in Scholarship & Creative Works @ Digital UNC. Fees are, for presenters, $100 early bird (pre-Feb. 15) and $125 after. Additional $50 for inclusion in proceedings. Nonpresenters: $50.
Graduate students are welcome and organized panels are encouraged. Please submit a one-page abstract, or a one-page panel proposal with brief individual abstracts, by December 14, 2018 to SASSI@unco.edu.
Submission of materials assumes that, if accepted, the submitter will attend the conference.
Greeley is approximately one hour north of Denver, one hour south of Cheyenne, WY, and one hour east of Estes Park, CO. See www.unco.edu/SASSI for details. Questions? For further information contact conference host Thomas Endres at SASSI@unco.edu.