Fourth International Conference on Language, Linguistics, Literature and Translation: Exploring Cultural Intersections
Organization: Sultan Qaboos University
The conference will focus on the dynamics of culture and its representations in the fields of Language, Linguistics, Literature and Translation. It aims to emphasize cultural intersections and explore ways in which such intersections could be conceptualized, critiqued or disrupted and ultimately reconstructed. We invite contributions on the theoretical and analytical frameworks that examine cultural intersections, as well as those which explore the practical and pedagogical implications of such intersections.
Confirmed Plenary Speakers
· Prof. (Emeritus) Alister Cumming (University of Toronto, Canada) - Language
· Prof. David Damrosch (Harvard University, U.S.A and Director, The Institute for World Literature) - Literature
· Prof. Ingrid Piller (Macquarie University, Australia) - Linguistics
· Prof. Lawrence Venuti (Temple University, U.S.A) - Translation
Sample conference themes
· (These are indicative themes but a wider range of proposals is encouraged)
· Proposals for individual presentations and panels of 4-5 participants are invited
The power of language
Language and culture
The language of power
Media, culture and language
Technological innovations and their
Identity construction in a multicultural society
impact on cultural images
Culture as text
Cultural identities in translation
Social constructions of culture
Cultural hegemony in translation
Building models of identity
Translation as rewriting
Translation and agency
· Abstracts should not exceed 250 words.
· Please include your name, affiliation, full postal address, title of presentation and area to which the presentation belongs (Language, Linguistics, Literature, Translation).
· Please mention whether your abstract is part of a panel or an individual presentation.
· Abstracts must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Sandhya Rao Mehta