Organization: University of Bucharest
The University of Bucharest, in partnership with the Romanian Academy, organizes an international scientific conference on “The Bolshevik danger in Central Europe in 1919” on October 24-26, 2019.
The purpose of this conference is to provide interested scholars with a platform for discussing the perception of Bolshevism as a major risk factor in Central Europe, especially, but not limited to, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, the Baltic States, and Romania, after the end of the First World War.
We propose the following topics, while also allowing the participants to put forward other subjects related to the prospects of Bolshevik danger in 1919:
1. The perception and attitude of the Allied Powers at the Paris Peace Conference on the Bolshevik threat.
2. Public perceptions and historiographical myths regarding the Bolshevik movement of 1919.
3. Bolshevik propaganda in Central Europe.
4. Propaganda against Bolshevism.
5. The Bolshevik republics of Munich and Budapest between social aspirations and national frustrations.
6. The military campaigns of Czechoslovakia and Romania against the Hungarian Soviet Republic.
7. Romanian, Polish and Baltics’ military confrontations with Soviet Russia.
8. The role of the military interventions of the Entente against Russia in forming the public imaginary about the Bolshevik danger.
9. The public violence of the Bolsheviks and anti-Bolsheviks.
10. International public law and humanitarian law in political and military actions against the Bolsheviks.
Interested persons are kindly asked to send the title of their presentations by email to email@example.com by June 30th, 2019, together with a summary of up to 300 words and a short autobiography of the author/ authors in English.
Proposals will be peer-reviewed and selected by a scientific committee. Each applicant will receive a response from the organizing committee by July 31st, 2019 at the latest.
For the participants in need of a visa, we will provide the necessary documents in time for obtaining it for their respective travel to Romania.
After the conference, the selected works will be published in a volume at a prestigious publishing house.
Fees: There are no fees in order to attend this conference. The organizers will ensure the accommodation (3 nights) and the meals for the participants during the conference, the transport costs being covered by the participants.
The scientific committee:
1. Prof. Ioan Aurel Pop, Ph.D., President of the Romanian Academy
2. Prof. Mihai R?zvan Ungureanu, Ph.D., The University of Bucharest
3. Prof. Bogdan Murgescu, Ph.D., The University of Bucharest
4. Prof. Virgiliu ?âr?u, Ph.D., “Babe?-Bolyai” University of Cluj-Napoca
5. Prof. Lucian Leu?tean, Ph.D., “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Ia?i
The organizing committee:
1. Prof. Mircea Dumitru, Ph.D., Rector of the University of Bucharest
2. Associate professor Florentina Ni?u, Ph.D.
3. Prof. Flavius ??Baias, Ph.D.
4. Associate professor Marius Diaconescu, Ph.D.
Follow us on Facebook: 1919BolsheviksinEurope or on our webpage: https://istorie.unibuc.ro/cercetare/conferinte/the-international-scientific-conference-the-bolshevik-danger-in-central-europe-in-1919/ for news on the conference.