Call for Book Chapters on Ridley Scott’s Gladiator: In Recognition of the Twentieth Anniversary of the Film
Vernon Press invites chapter proposals on the theme: “A Hero Will Endure”: Essays on the Twentieth Anniversary of Gladiator for an edited collection. All areas of study, with a common goal of representing the cultural and material impact of the film since its release in May 2000.
Martin M. Winkler edited a collection about Gladiator regarding its historical and media aspects. There are also several single essays about psychological (Skweres), political, or cultural issues related to the film. Nevertheless, there have been no other collections on the cultural and social impact of the film since its release. With the twentieth anniversary approaching in 2020, the time is right for presenting new insights about this award-winning film.
The scope of the present call is broad. All topics regarding the film’s impact on material, social, and academic culture will be considered. Specific topics that the editor is seeking to round out the collection include:
• Depictions of the environment in the film
• Depictions of nonhuman animals in the film (i.e. tigers)
• Insights and innovative interpretations of characters besides Maximus (Commodus, Juba, Proximo, Gracchus, the senators, Lucilla, Lucius Verus)
Other topics that will still be considered include:
• The impact of the film on classical studies/students
• The impact of the film on the academic curriculum
• Material aspects of fandom (posters, collectibles)
• The endurance of certain images/themes from the film
• The film on social media
• Changes in the way of perceiving the film over time
• The effect of Gladiator on other epic/award-winning films
• Cosplay and convention events
Deadline for proposals: August 15, 2019
Deadline for first drafts: October 15, 2019
How to submit your proposal
Please submit one-page abstracts/proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org including a short biographical note. More information on what we look for in a proposal is available on our website.
About the publisher
Vernon Press is an independent publisher of scholarly books in the social sciences and humanities. We work closely with authors, academic associations, distributors, and library information specialists to identify and develop high quality, high impact titles.
More information on www.vernonpress.com