CFP: Roundtable on "Performing under COVID: Responses to the Pandemic in German Popular Culture" (NeMLA annual convention)
Organization: Northeast Modern Language Association
Event: NeMLA annual convention
Roundtable on "Performing under COVID: Responses to the Pandemic in German Popular Culture"
Northeast Modern Languages Association annual convention, Baltimore, MD, March 10-13, 2022
The COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on the performing arts across the globe. For performers and producers of popular culture who were already making use of digital media to reach a broader audience, YouTube, Instagram, and other streaming media platforms became even more significant venues for connecting with their fans and the wider public.
This roundtable will explore how the pandemic played out in terms of content and conventions as well as its impact on the popular culture industry in German-speaking countries. Possible areas of inquiry for participants are:
- Intersections of identity and illness in COVID performances: how the pandemic and its impact are portrayed by performers of different backgrounds and in different entertainment categories (e.g. comedy, music, theater)
- Streaming video, social media and audience commentary/participation in the age of COVID (could include the growth in popularity of new platforms and apps such as TikTok)
- COVID performance as social/political critique
- Popular culture and social media as a vehicle for public education about the science of COVID or as a medium for fringe perspectives
- Long-term effects of COVID restrictions on the performing arts in general (shifts in performance strategies and media)
Other areas of inquiry related to popular culture and COVID in the German context are welcome and encouraged.
Please submit abstracts of up to 300 words by September 30, 2021 through the NeMLA portal: https://www.cfplist.com/nemla/Home/S/19420
NOTE: The abstract portal will be open from June 15, 2021 until September 30, 2021.
For inquiries, please contact Dr. Kathrin Bower (firstname.lastname@example.org).