Organization: Universitetet i Bergen
SPACE IN MOVEMENT
Dynamic trajectories in Audio-Visual Representations. Cinema, Television, Series, Web
Bergen, 22-23 August 2022
David Britain University of Bern
Roberto De Gaetano Calabria University
Bergen 2022 aims to continue the reflection on spatiality started during the 2021 conference, addressing the theme of the dynamic representation of space in Italian cinema, television and new audiovisual media production.
The idea on which we propose to reflect is that the classical space paradigm has been altered, breaking the rigid geometry of the causal structure. This new spatiality creates a movement without purpose and without destination, a line of action without aim, a condition of wandering that becomes the hallmark of the modern form.
The analysis of the dynamic relationship between cinema and space affects both the story level, understood as the set of events and existing ones, as well as the discursive level, that is to say the set of techniques for setting up the narrative world and its linguistic effectiveness.
Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:
• Transformative processes of space in motion in the audiovisual narration (environment, landscape, taskscape, borderscape, e-scape, walkscape)
• Moving set (train, ship, plane, car, subway)
• Narrative structures of movement
• Space in motion and point of view
• Degrees of possibility of wandering in television narration
• Techniques of representation of space in motion
• False movement (from optical tracking to digital traveling)
• Travel documentary films
• Road movie
• The tourist's gaze
• Cinema of migration
• Geographies of socialization
• Topography of sociolinguistic interaction
• Movements of languages and varieties
• Dynamics of sociolinguistic sets and social structures
• Sociolinguistic and dialectal documentation
Abstracts of no more than 500 words should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com (writing in the mail subject: BERGEN22) by May, 31 2022. Notification of acceptance will be announced by June, 5 2022.
The regular registration fee is 50€ (30€ for students and PhD).
Marco Gargiulo, University of Bergen
Antioco Floris, University of Cagliari
Luca Bandirali, University of Salento