The University of Nairobi, Kenya
Organization: The SOAS GLOCAL, The SOAS Global Council for Anthropological Linguistics
Categories: Lingustics, Anthropology/Sociology, Cultural StudiesEvent Date: 2023-10-16 to 2023-10-19 Abstract Due: 2022-08-13 Abstract Deadline has passed
- The (SCOPUS / ISI) SOAS GLOCAL AFALA 2023 is the annual conference, workshops and lectures on the Linguistic Anthropology, Sociolinguistics, and Language and Society, of Africa. https://afala2021.uonbi.ac.ke/ (2021 URL retained owing to COVID)
- Institute of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, The University of Nairobi, Kenya, Nairobi
- October 16-19, 2023.
- Linguistic Landscapes in Cultural Climates: The SOAS GLOCAL AFALA 2023 invites work on the linguistic symbolisms and landscapes of Africa throughout global society, in a current era of global cultural flows and cultural sensitivity. Papers should focus on the ways in which African languages represent the cultural heritages, modernities, and futures of Africa, more so following recent large-scale global changes.
KEYNOTE AND PLENERY SPEAKERS
- Globally prominent scholars in Linguistic Anthropology and Language and Society.
- SOAS (University of London), University College London, Temple University, University College Dublin, Stockholm University, University of Hawai’i at Manoa, The American University in Cairo, Florida International University, Montclair State University, Stanford University, Ohio State University, University of Kansas, University of Virginia, Texas Tech University, Boston College, Nanyang Technological University, Calcutta University, Nalanda University, Beijing Normal University, University of East Anglia, University of Groningen, Qatar University, Monash University, University of South Australia, The University of Adelaide.
- The SOAS GLOCAL AFALA 2023 Second abstract submission /call for abstracts opens on October 20, 2022 and closes on August 13, 2023. Submit at the following link, with all information. https://afala2021.uonbi.ac.ke/submit (2021 URL retained owing to COVID)
- Conference proceedings (SCOPUS / ISI indexed). Several special High Impact (Scopus/ISI /ACHI /SSCI) journal issues and monographs are planned with well ranked publications and publishers only, from papers submitted to the SOAS GLOCAL AFALA 2023 that meet review requirements. Ample assistance is provided to revise papers.
- 350+ oral presentations, 20 colloquia, poster presentation section, 3 keynote speakers, 10 publishing company displays, 20 university display stalls, 4 workshops on Linguistics and Anthropology methodology, 3 anthropological exhibitions, 5 talks by anthropological societies, anthropological excursion, 2 ‘how to publish’ talks by publishers.
- Anthropological one day options to sites significant for Kenyan language, anthropology and society.
- Website: https://afala2021.uonbi.ac.ke/, https://glocal.soas.ac.uk
- Submission link: https://afala2021.uonbi.ac.ke/submit/
- Academia: https://soas.academia.edu/GLOCALSOAS
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/soas-glocalunit
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GLOCALSOAS
- GLOCAL / AFALA App: https://glocal.soas.ac.uk/the-glocal-app/
- Chair - Professor W. Onyango-Ouma -Anthropology, Gender and African Studies University of Nairobi, Kenya. Email: email@example.com
- Co-Chair - Professor Nathan Hill -SOAS University of London, U.K.
- Vice Chair - Professor Helga Shroeder -Department of Linguistics & Languages, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
GENERAL STEERING COMMITTEE
- Professor Salome Bukachi - Inst. of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Professor Tom Ondicho - Inst. of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Professor Charles Olungah - Inst.of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Professor Benson Mulemi - Dept. of Social Science and Development Studies Catholic, University of Eastern Africa, Kenya.
- Dr. Khamati Shilabukha - Inst. of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Dr. Dalmas Omia - Inst. of Anthropology, Gender and African Studies, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Head of Communications Samantha Emery - https://afala2021.uonbi.ac.ke/contact/